Wednesday, December 08, 2010

List of Fall / Winter Reviews. . .

I have been terrible about keeping up my blog lately, but am still doing lots of writing. I published several reviews this fall of shows in Chicago. I decided to write about each of these artists because their work either utilized everyday objects in a new way (see Stephanie Syjuco and Alberto Aguilar), or because I was amazed by their intensive process (see Anthony Pearson and Zach Mory), or because their two-dimensional work created a different type of experience for me in the gallery. I am interested in two-dimensional work that engages the gallery, not as installation, but using the relationship between the drawings/paintings and the gallery (both as a literal space and conceptual framework) to expand certain ideas in the work (see Deb Sokolow and Hilary Wilder). These themes just evolved over the course of a few months as I continued writing. Here is the list and links. Enjoy!

"Deb Sokolow at Western Exhibitions," Newcity, December 2010.

"Hilary Wilder's Ornament and Crime at The Suburban Gallery," Art Lies, Fall/Winter 2010. (In print only).

"Light and Air at The Coalition Gallery" (Robin Dluzen, Zach Mory and Connie Wolfe), Newcity, November 2010.

"Things to be next to . . . at Three Walls" (Alberto Aguilar, Peter Fagundo, Warren Rosser and James Woodfill), Newcity, November 2010.

"Anthony Pearson at Shane Campbell Gallery," Newcity, October 2010.

"Stephanie Syjuco's Particulate Matter at Gallery 400," Newcity, September 2010.

No comments: